Nutrition and mealtime philosophy:
Scientifically, food fuels and nourishes our bodies by providing the nutrients necessary to sustain life. But food is much more than just nourishment. It provides social and emotional fulfillment as well. It provides time for you to bond with your family and loved ones. There are numerous health benefits to sharing a meal with your family.
My Rules for Nourishment
- Use FRESH, WHOLE foods! Avoid processed, artificially enhanced food with lengthy ingredient lists; especially with words you can’t pronounce.
- Go ORGANIC and use NON-GMO ingredients when ever possible.
- Shop LOCAL and SEASONALLY. To get the freshest produce and other ingredients, buy what’s close to home and currently in season.
- Make it FUN, EASY and MADE BY YOU! Deliciously nutritious foods don’t have to be complicated or boring.
- Don’t forget to TREAT YOURSELF AND INDULGE once in a while. Use the 80/20 rule with eating. That means you don’t have to cook every meal at home, or stop celebrating special occasions. Balance is key.
My Rules for Mealtime
- Find at least ONE MEALTIME A DAY, where you can share a meal with your family. It does not always have to be at dinnertime. My husband works the mid-shift (3pm to 11pm), so our family mealtimes are breakfast and lunch.
- RELAX AND ENJOY! Make mealtimes comfortable and unhurried. DO NOT STRESS if your child doesn’t eat everything on his plate. Some of the time my husband won’t eat everything either.
- Encourage EVERYONE’S PARTICIPATION IN PREPARATION and CLEAN-UP. Assign age-appropriate duties like measuring, stirring, setting the table, or loading the dishwasher.
- NO DISTRACTIONS! Turn off the TV, cell phone, laptop, and any other distracting device. Save the newspapers and homework for later. Spend this time focusing on each other!